Subscribe to Fertility Shmertility

1/01/2006

A kick in the stomach!

I have a good friend who has been going through this struggle with infertility for three years. Five IVF's later he and his wife got pregnant for the first time. They found out at Thanksgiving. I was so exited for them. They will be the best parents. Tonight I received this e-mail from him. "There's no easy way to say this but D and I went for our 10 week ultrasound Thursday and there was no fetal heartbeat. The last several ultrasounds showed a normal heartbeat, so you can imagine the devasation we felt. She needed a D and C Friday." What do you say to these poor people. I am crying and my pain is only a fraction of what they must be feeling. Why is life so fucking unfair.

5 Comments:

Blogger K said...

All you can do is be there for them, offer condolences and acknowledge their loss. A lot of people well say the stupid things like "you can have another" and "at least it wasn't a late term loss" or worse "it wasn't meant to be." Just offer a shoulder and maybe take some food by, it will mean a lot to them.

1/02/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

Thank you. I forgot to mention that they are on the east coast and I am on the west. I have sent them an e-mail to let them know I am thinking of them. I'll call in a day or two.

1/02/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

That's very sad :(

1/05/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Bugsy said...

It is a hard one but the worst is when you tell people and they say nothing. All you can really say is that you are thinking of them, that this is unfair, and that you will be there if they ever need to call - to cry, to moan, to vent, to reminise, even just to discuss the weather. Just be there for them in any capacity you can. Even sending a card to let them know you are thinking of them really helps.

1/07/2006 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

Thanks Bugsy
I have e-mailed them a couple of times to tell them I am thinking of them. I have been debating the card. I think I will send one this week.

1/07/2006 08:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?