Subscribe to Fertility Shmertility

3/17/2006

I'm back

I'm so sorry to have been away for so long. I just looked back and it is almost a month since I posted and still you haven't forgotton me. Kellie, Katie, Boliath, Feebee, Jenny, KellieandKids, Vivean ,Kath and Michelle all came over to ask for an update and to check in. Thank you all. I went for my final appointment with Dr Ding Dong all happy and confident only to find that Betty's heart had stopped. What a blow! Alf was doing great and truly I was very happy and relieved that was the case but I couldn't help but cry for Betty. Once you have seen and heard that heartbeat it is real and when it stops, it's hearbreaking, yet I am so grateful that Alf seems to be thriving. So, I had a good cry, in fact I had several good crys over the period of a few days and mourned Betty's demise and then went on with the agonizing wait for my first OB appointment. In the meantime, my Mother came to stay and she came to that appointment with me. My blood pressure was high so my OB(I'm still trying to think of a good name for her) thought we might need a 24h urine collection. I checked my BP at home for a week and it was fine. When she saw the numbers today, she thought maybe she had scared me on that first visit(she didn't -I love her) This morning it was a litle high when I checked it at work. I do tend to stress myself out about work which is a concern so I'm going to have to learn to take it easy and realize I can't do it all. I am 11 weeks today. Alf measured 11 weeks and 3 days. Monday, I have genetic counselling while B has surgery on his knee, then on Thursday I go for CVS. I am happy today because I saw Alf's heart beat and in less then a couple of weeks we will know our baby's sex. I think it's a girl but I don't care one way or the other. My friend M. who "gets feelings" about things looked at me today and said "you're having a boy" so we'll have to wait and see. I'm sorry this post is all over the place, that's what happens when you don't post for a month. I'll try and be good and keep my posts regular and coherent in future. Thank you again for your concern and good wishes. Happy St Patricks Day to you all. In Ireland we call it Paddy's Day not Patty's Day. Paddy comes from the Irish for Patrick which is Padraig. Patty is short for Patricia. Stay away from the green beer!

19 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Welcome back! I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Betty, and am glad that you gave yourself the chance to grieve. My heart goes out to you.

Despite this sad news, I'm also absolutely thrilled to hear that Alf is doing so well! I hope you continue with the updates, and I will continue thinking strong, healthy thoughts for you and Alf.

3/17/2006 11:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Betty. I hope you're holding up okay.
Of course, I'm also happy to hear all is well with Alf.
I hope you're able to take it easy so as to keep your blood pressure in order.

3/18/2006 04:34:00 AM  
Blogger DD said...

I'm also saddened to hear of you loss. Thank you for letting us know.

3/18/2006 05:11:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying that all will continue to go well for you.

3/18/2006 08:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Portlairge, I'm so sorry about Betty. What sad news.

And I'm thrilled to hear that Alf is going so well, and that your first trimester is almost over.

Thanks for the update, my dear, and take good care of yourself.

3/18/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Kellie said...

I'm sorry to hear about Betty. It is hard, having been through that recently :(. It is excellent news that Alf is doing so well!

3/18/2006 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Best of luck with the CVS.

3/18/2006 01:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so sorry for your loss. But thank god Alf is thriving. Let us know how the CVS goes!

3/18/2006 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Feebee said...

So, so sorry to hear about Betty. Still, delighted that Alf is doing well, hope you are too.

3/19/2006 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

I'm sorry about Betty too. Glad to hear Alf is thriving.

3/19/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Kellieandkids said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Betty. Sorry about the BP issues and oh joy, fun, fun for the 24 hour protein (been there-done that-would gladly avoid in the future if possible).

I'm so happy that Alf is doing fine! YAY!

3/19/2006 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger EAB said...

I'm so sorry about Betty, Portlairge.

3/20/2006 07:38:00 AM  
Blogger x said...

Can you enjoy St.Paddy's day in Ireland when you are pg? I am sure you found a way.

I am so sorry about Betty. It is fabulous that Alf is doing so well. I can't imagine how much it hurts to get your hopes up and have them dashed. I wish I could give you a big hug. Why does life have to be so bitter sweet?

So are you going to tell us if it is a boy or a girl? I hope so - then we can give you lots of name assvice.

3/20/2006 07:57:00 AM  
Blogger Boliath said...

I'm so very very sorry about Betty.

Thrilled that Alf is doing so well and just delighted that you're back!

Hope you had a lovely time with Mammy, Mammies are just the business when you're feeling crap, lots of tea and sympathy.

3 cheers for Portlairge's Mammy!

3/22/2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

PortLairge, I just popped over here for the first time in a while (bad blog friend!) and saw your sad/happy news. I'm so sorry to hear about Betty. That must have been so hard for you. I'm glad that Alf is doing well, though. Hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will continue to be textbook. You're in my thoughts.

3/24/2006 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Country Chick said...

Hello again, great to see you back. To be honest I was really worried about that spotting you had, followed by such a long silence, so I am delighted to read such good news. Am sorry about Betty too, and more sorry that it has been so hard for you. Good luck, I will keep checking in to make sure you are all right. Hope you enjoyed St Patrick's too!

3/27/2006 07:19:00 AM  
Blogger erinberry said...

I'm very sorry for the loss of Betty. I hope Alf continues to thrive - It sounds like he's doing very well.

3/28/2006 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger x said...

You are past the 12 week mark now, I think it's time for another update. I hope that you and Alf are starting to enjoy this pregnancy.

3/30/2006 06:36:00 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I'm so sorry that Betty didn't make it. It must be hard to be sad about that and happy about Alf at the same time. I hope all went fine with the CVS.

4/01/2006 03:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?